SMART4ALL involves Financial Support to 3rd parties (FSTP). To this end, a robust process has been defined to choose up to 67 PAEs (stated as initial objective) by launching 3 Types and 9 Open Calls [WP6], along the project, addressing the prioritized verticals (Digitized Transport, Digitized Agriculture, Digitized Environment and Digitized Anything). The full process for each Open Call last 11-14 months as detailed in the following Figure 1.6: There will be 3 types of PAEs:
1. Knowledge Transfer Experiments (KTE): short-term (3 months) internships projects between two different entities from two different EU Countries: one Academic/Industrial partner who act as Sending Organization and one Academic/Industrial partner who act as Host Organization. Beneficiaries will be provided up to 8,000 € to cover mobility allowance for implementing the internship. KTE Examples:
1) A university group has developed a tool for fast FPGA processing of DNA data. An SME wants to investigate whether this tool can be easily integrated into its main development process and check the actual benefits in the field. A student from the university group moves to the company for 3 months. The SME would be the host organization.
2) An SME is seeking a university group with expertise in a new technology (e.g., simulation techniques for 5G networks). A student from the group moves to the company for 3 months to develop simulation models using a state-of-the-art network simulator. The SME would be the host.
2. Focused Technology Transfer Experiments (FTTE): short-term (6 months) PAEs between two different entities from two different EU Countries: one Academic and one Industrial or two industrials. Within this type of experiments, one party transfers to the receiving partner a specific HW or SW technology in order to enable improved product or processes. Beneficiaries will be provided up to 80,000 € to cover staff, travel and equipment needed for implementing the experiment. FTTE Examples: 1) A low resource demanding compression algorithm is developed (output of the PAE is the algorithm); 2) A hardware accelerator for image processing is developed (output of the PAE is the HW design).
3. Cross domain Technology Transfer Experiments (CTTE): short-term (6 months) PAEs between three (3) entities from at least two different EU Countries. Additionally, at least one should be an SME and the experiment should be led by an SME. Beneficiaries will be provided up to 80,000 € to cover staff, travel and equipment needed for implementing the experiment. CTTE Examples: 1) The compression algorithm with adequate adaption/enhancement is used in wireless communication for medical purposes; 2) a hardware accelerator is integrated and used in surveillance or medical or ambient assisted living environments purposes.